Monday, August 9, 2010

Reducing pollution at the local supermarket

Today I was shopping in my local Woolworths supermarket. They were having some issues with the BBQ chicken machine in the deli, which was spewing large clouds of smoke all over the deli and fruit and vegetable section. It was so smoky I thought the fire alarm would go off, but it didn't so there were crowds of shoppers peering through the smoke as they tried to avoid bumping into other people's trolleys. The deli workers were looking embarrassed, so I suspected they had already fielded some complaints about it.

The irony? That the chicken machine is located right underneath a rather large sign espousing Woolworths' commitment to reducing greenhouse gas emissions by a large percentage in the next five years.

I think they have some way to go before they achieve their target.

No comments: