Friday, October 29, 2010

Letter to the editor

Apparently I had a letter to the editor published in Wednesday's Courier-Mail.

Although we have bought a few weekday editions lately (not our usual practice) so we can make little wooden dinosaurs, we didn't buy Wednesday's paper so I haven't yet seen the letter in print to see how much they edited what I sent to them. I thought nothing happened when I hit submit on the bottom of the form I wrote it on so for me it was quite a surprise to discover that it had reached anyone at all. The first I knew of it was when my sister sent me a text yesterday to say she'd seen it.

Probably if I had followed my usual rule of waiting a while before hitting submit/send, I wouldn't have sent it. I'm still not sure it was the right thing to complain about, since it concerned my employer and the ongoing issues it is having paying its staff. I have in fact been overpaid and therefore there are others in a worse position than me. I was just annoyed that they (the journalists, anyway) seem to be implying that overpaid staff are trying to rort the system and get away without paying the money back. Some might, but not me, I've been trying to pay the money back for the last five months, but I'm not getting far.

My mother thought the letter was good though. I don't think many other people would have noticed it so I don't think I'll bother trying to track down the paper myself.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Hey Karen, you knew my husband Peter at South Toowoomba Pressy - read your comments on the Marshall's blog and found your blog! Nice to 'meet' you again.

Karen said...

Hi Helen, I have been taking a peek on your blog from time to time as well! We met when you guys came to the coast for a holiday once, I think you came up to our place for lunch. Your little girl was just a baby then...
Nice to "catch up"!!
K

Wendy said...

So nice you get to meet again!