Friday, October 22, 2010

The psychology of procrastination

I no longer have to do exams at this time of the year, nor am I planning to write another thesis for a while.

But for those who are doing exams or completing their assignments or thesis, here is some interesting research on procrastination. Found it here.

Might make those people who are easily distracted by Facebook, cruising blogs or the myriad of other ways of avoiding study feel better.

When I was writing my thesis, my primary form of procrastination was doing housework. Never did my house look so clean as it did during those years. I used to justify it by saying I was thinking about what I was going to write in the next section. Sometimes I was. But not always.

And now my house is nowhere near as tidy as it was....

1 comment:

Chris said...

Ok, so I'm an active procrastinator- but I still work better at the last minute, and I'm prepared to back up that statement.

When I was in grade 5 I had to do a project on insects, and for once I started early- three weeks before it was due. Had the project almost finished, with plenty of time. Then the night before it was due, I discovered I'd now lost the project and had to do it all at the last minute anyway.

Also I find if I have to give a talk, it comes out better if its not prepared. It comes out more fluently, easily and sounds, not surprisingly, more spontaneous. If I prepare before hand, then it is stiff, stilted and awkward. So long as you know your topic, know what you want to say, and have a first line and a last line, just let the adrenalin of standing up in front of a large group of people do the rest. (that's why we've got a sympathetic nervous system- its disrespectful not to use it).

Obviously the world might be a better place if we didn't all procrastinate- but if you are going to procrastinate at least enjoy it, and don't spend the time you should be doing the work, beating yourself up for not doing it. Either do the work, or enjoy not doing it. Either way, don't complain to me.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/demotivators/procrastinationdemotivationalposter.jpg