Sunday, November 21, 2010

Christmas carols 2010

This year, a group of musicians and singers from our church is going to perform Christmas carols at the markets at our local high school. We are doing two Saturday sessions in the lead-up to our Christmas carol service at church. This is a new thing for us to do, and we are doing it as a way of inviting people along to the carols service.

Each session goes for five hours. It will include some a cappella singing, some instrumental songs, and some items with both instruments and singers. It's a lot of time to fill up.

I am the pianist. Obviously most of the songs are familiar but because of the length of time we need to be there I am also practising some others that I don't know so well, which is time consuming (and hard work). But fun too, since I'm discovering some old carols I haven't heard for years. And even one or two that I haven't ever heard before. I'm thinking of using some of the less familiar ones as part of an Advent calendar type thing at home so we can play and sing them together as a family.

Please pray for us as we do this outreach into our local community. And that our hands and voices don't get too tired! Piano's not so bad, but I think our bongo drum player might struggle a bit...




No comments: