Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Surreal

I just found the flood map for my parents' suburb here. The blue tidal overflow seems to go right to the edge of my parents' property. Sounds like they have plenty of help getting things out of the house so that is good. And at least they have advance warning of what is coming so they do have time to move things.

The bad news is that it still seems to be raining there.

And life still seems to be going on as normal elsewhere...I have been keeping an eye on Facebook this morning where my sister in law is providing updates (hopefully she is erring on the side of over rather than under-dramatizing things) and I have been watching friends have conversations about normal stuff like birthdays and playstation games and general chit chat. That is a little bit hard for me to watch so I will go and do some cooking to take my mind off things...

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I agree - it is unnerving to watch from a distance. We lived in Oxley for a year, but that part isn't in the blue. Last year we were in Goodna, I'll have to go look for a map of Ipswich.

Karen said...

Hey Wendy, I found my map here http://lexiphanic.com/floodmaps/ but that is just the Brisbane suburbs that might be affected so Ipswich isn't included. Apparently the Brisbane City Council website wasn't working earlier, but maybe Ipswich Council's is?
Thanks so much for praying, I do appreciate it...