Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pumpkin scones

This morning I made pumpkin scones to take out to a morning tea.

I always use Lady Flo Bjelke Petersen's recipe, as follows:

1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup cold mashed pumpkin
2-2 1/2 cups self-raising flour

Method:
1. Beat together butter, sugar and salt using an electric mixer.
2. Add egg, then pumpkin and beat till combined.
3. Stir in flour by hand (I use a butter knife, the way I do when I make regular scones).
4. Turn onto floured board and cut out with scone cutter.
5. Place close together on heated tray and bake for 15 minutes on the top shelf of a hot oven (220 degrees). You might need to adjust the cooking time depending on what your oven is like.

Serve with butter or jam. Today I used apricot jam because that's what I had in the cupboard. Like all scones, they are best eaten on the day they are made.

Yum. And I still have a little bit of mashed pumpkin left over. Not enough to do another batch of scones, but I am about to have a go at another of Lady Flo's recipes, this time it's a pumpkin and coconut tea cake for dessert tonight.


No comments: