Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gingerbread biscuit recipe

As requested....this is my grandmother's recipe, but I think it's a pretty standard one. My sister and I both make these every year. I usually don't bother decorating mine (too lazy!) but you can use those little icing pens from the supermarket to decorate them, or put on currants to make eyes/buttons if you make gingerbread men.

Enjoy!

Gingerbread Biscuits

150g unsalted butter, softened
200g brown sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon golden syrup (I usually just guess this amount)
2 teaspoons bicarb of soda
1 teaspoon each ground ginger, cinnamon, mixed spice, cloves (see above note re guessing)
400g plain flour (+ extra for rolling out)

1. Cream butter and sugar.
2. Add egg and golden syrup, beat well.
3. Sift in bicarb, spices and flour. Mix to a firm dough. Leave to stand for 1-2 hours (this firms up the dough, you can speed up the process a bit by putting it into the fridge if you like)
4. Roll out on lightly floured board. Cut into shapes using biscuit cutters.
5. Bake in moderate oven (180-190 degrees Celsius) for around 10 minutes until golden brown.


No comments: