Monday, November 19, 2012

Reading through the Bible in a year


Jean and Meredith have inspired me to give it a go. I'm following the chronological reading plan that Jean's suggested and is currently doing.

I've started today. I'm sure that I will miss days here and there over the course of the year so I figured if I got a head start before the January 1 kick-off date on the plan, that could only be a good thing.

I'm liking the idea of reading the Bible chronologically to improve my knowledge of how the whole Bible story hangs together. So after I've read the first bit of Genesis I'll be heading into Job for a while. I'm also excited about seeing how the Psalms relate to 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Chronicles and the Kings. I've been reading through the Psalms one to one with my friend (very slowly since we're not able to meet up every week) and have been wondering as we've been going along how they link up to what David was up to at the time.

No doubt I'll need plenty of good kicks to keep the motivation up as time goes on. But I am going to make it my goal to see it through even if it takes longer than a year.

Thanks for the reading plan recommendations, Jean, and for all your helpful hints on how to read all of the Bible, Meredith. Much appreciated.

If anyone else wants to join me in my quest, I'd love to hear from you, online or in real life!

2 comments:

Andrew said...

Great idea (but I really love the picture).

Laetitia :-) said...

I actually have a copy of the Bible set up as a chronological version - not sure if it's in the same order as your reading plan though.

Don't stress about whether you manage to read it all in a year - something that can be done if you read about 4 chapters a day - I'd break up Ps 119 though :-). The devil will love it if you beat yourself up about it - he'll use that as a weapon to stop you from continuing on with it at all.